CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 26, 2007

he's a chin man

so we made our first trip to the ER last night...cohen has a severe upper respiratory infection. we had been up two nights ALL night (that's not an exaggeration) with him, but last night (thanks to some prescription strength cough medicine) we finally got some sleep.

and it was sweet, friends. i didn't see the clock even once between ten and nine. there was a little 'praise the Lord' in my spirit as i woke *grin* and more importantly, cohen is better rested and back to smiling.

in the last week i learned something about my son that i am pretty sure sets him apart from most 7 month old boys: he's a chin man. if you pick him up and face him in towards you, he immediately grabs your ears or hair or handfuls of neck or whatever else he can get a hold of, and pulls you really close, and just GOES TO TOWN on your chin. the first time he did it, i thought perhaps the sickness was making him delirious enough to think the chin was also a milk producing organ, but then it became a habit..a quick. he attacked beth's chin, mom's chin, and then he started on the men...but learned quickly that his dad, uncles and grandpa all have scratchy hair there. he tried the noses next with them, but found they don't taste too good and decided to keep his chin sucking exclusively for females.

so if you are woman and you meet cohen, watch out. he grabs hard and chews furiously. consider yourself warned.

i am going to write later and the new site is going to be up SOON! but i did want to take a moment to write an open apology to a few of my favorite readers...

i posted a blog in october that it has come to my attention was offensive to some people i know and love. i wrote the post about my feelings concerning gift giving at Christmas time. i really wrote with the sole intention of encouraginig people to set aside part of their Christmas budget for needy persons. i highlighted world vision and shared that we were giving a certain gift because i have seen with my own two eyes the good world vision does in the poorest areas in the world. i probably shouldn't have listed what we are giving..the reason i did it specifically was because i wanted to make sure i wasn't asking people to do something i myself wasn't willing to do..and because i didn't want anyone to think i was promoting world vision because of shawn's ties. in hindsight, it wasn't the best way to go about it. i want to specifically apologize to those in my life who have given gifts to me or received gifts from me. i did not at all mean to imply that i wasn't thankful for or didn't enjoy the things you had given to me with thoughtfulness and love. my feelings about Christmas and the consumerism that surrounds it, are independent of you. please know that i am sick my words hurt you and that it was NOT my intention in any way to offend you. while i was writing the blog, my thoughts were primarily about general consumerism and specifically about shawn and i and the money we spent and why. i love you all dealy and am regret that i didn't write with the sensitivity i should have. i hope you can forgive me and charge this bad judgement to my head and not to my heart.

11 comments:

Teresa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madeleine said...

Fist, I love the pictures of the puppies!! They are soo cute.

The chin-man story is funny!! My daughter was like that, but only when she was with her daddy. Weird, but everyone else was safe. He considered himself special. lol. I guess.

I am with you on the Christmas thing. When ever my kids ask me what I want, they know they are going to hear " CHICKENS" . It is such a better feeling getting gifts like that!!! It always makes me cry from joy Christmas morning when I get chickens or goats or a roof or a bicycle for a missionary. Life is good.

I don't think you don't need to apoligize for wanting to bless people differently this year. Sure some people are going to be sensitive about it, and not that you want to be ugly, but when they see your passions and joy, maybe they will understand!! Keep on being a blessing!

~madeleine

Anonymous said...

We neeeeeed new Cohen pics! :))

Andrea said...

I tried to convince my husband to buy one of the puppies. I think once he saw the pictures, I almost had him :)

My best friend's baby also loooves the chin. He's also a nose man :)

I agree with Marjie, please post more Cohen pictures! He's so dang cute!

Unknown said...

Hi!
I can't remember exactly how I found your blog, but I'm a big fan of your sister's music, so I'm sure that had something to do with it (my band actually opened for her a few months ago)...
But I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your blog. It always seems to encourage me, though perhaps it doesn't mean to. When I read your blog about irreducible complexity, I was amazed because the "discrepancies" between God and science have been somewhat of a stumbling block for me over the past 6 months or so.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know, that I enjoy reading what you have to say, and you bless me immensely!
Thanks so much!

-Paige

Case and Los said...

Hey gal, I need your new address, or your mom's, or something (by this weekend).

Love the puppy pics, and I don't think you need to apologize for that Christmas email for any reason really... you have a bit of prophet in you, nothing wrong with that.

Glad ya'll had fun on T-day. 25 of us were at Los' parents for the same scenarios as you. LOVE it. Holler back,
love Case

The Secret Life of Kat said...

I love what you wrote about Cohen thinking the chin is another milk producing organ. So funny. My 8 month old is a cheek man. If we ask for a kiss he goes to town on our cheek. My girls, who love their little brother, are terrified of his slobbery kisses...

Our family is in the process of rethinking how we celebrate Christmas as well. I think, as you've discovered, it will be a tricky issue. There's a cool site called adventconspiracy.org that is all about ways to celebrate Christmas differently.

Teresa said...

Kate,

Reading about Cohen being the "chin man" made me laugh. *grin* I hope that he's doing a lot better with the upper respitory infection!

And about your apology -
I actually had to apologize to someone about the same thing earlier this week. What I had said to the person wasn't put lovingly- and I was very blunt.

But, Kate, I really don't think you need to apologize. I hold the very same opinions that you do on this - I didn't apologize for the words I said but how I said them. I don't think you need to apologize for wanting to do something different this year.

By the way... the first comment shown, that was mine that I deleted.

Teresa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

(before I write - that last one was from me as well. For some reason my comment posted twice. Sorry for that.) Anyway...

Kate, I re-read a few of your blogs. I once went through and read all of your blogs during a weeks time - because I started coming to your blog when you were half way through it. I don't know if you're like me - but I re-read a lot of my blogs every now and then.

I thank you for sharing the things that you share here Kate, for giving us more and more glimpses into your life and heart and allowing us to know what to pray for.

If I could be so blunt (hope this isn't wierd for you)... I love and care for you Kate, and know that I'm praying for you often after reading your blogs and thinking about them throughout the day.

Friend, God uses you!

Krista said...

hey kate!
i love this post! i can just picture a cute little baby all over women's chins. that's hilarious!
thanks for the comment on my page! did you get any shakespeare reading in yet?
i hope you're doing good!
~krista