CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 28, 2005

Our Thanksgiving Puppy

I am getting soft.... no this is not a Thanksgiving confession... I am getting soft with my husband.

Shawn and Dad bonded at the pet store while buying cool fish and crabs for my Dad's tank. When they got home, Shawn started making salsa at Beth's request.

"Hey Baby...."
I stopped chatting with my sister and turned toward Shawn "yeah?"
"There were the cutest puppies in that pet store...you would have freaked out."
"really?" I said, but I was thinking 'i doubt it.'
"Yeah...there was this one that was especially cute..a jack russell-beagle mix"
"hmmm..." I was actually curious about what that would look like. "well we could go up later and look if you want."

The salsa was finished a few minutes later and I was buttoning my green pea coat around my chest to keep from freezing. We were off to the pet store.

The twenty minute drive was full of my husband's words (this is a rare event)...."full grown the dog will only be about 15-20lbs" "I can't believe how cheap they are selling them..I guess they buy from local breeders" "You know I saw this lady on a flight recently and she brought her dog on with a soft carrier and it fit right under her seat..." "She had two of them...beagles, actually now that I think about it."

I braked at the stop light and looked at my husband. I was on to him. "Are you seriously thinking about going home with one of those dogs?"

He paused a moment and I could tell he was trying to read my eyes. "I don't know." Paused again. "Maybe."

I chuckled...if our lives were interesting to be a movie and this was a scene in that movie, we would call that little exchange 'foreshadowing'.

I am not sure how it happened but about an hour later we were driving back to my mom's house with a little puppy in a soft carrier that will (hopefully) fit under our seats on the plane tomorrow.

His name is Sawyer.
(I will post a pic as soon as possible)

More later...still working on the post about following Jesus. We don't have much internet service at the parents...sorry for the delay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the puppy!

Carla Neufeld said...

that's so cool, i've seen that mix at a store here in nashville, they're very cute. Hmmm, you've got a dog after being married less than a year...that means babies are right around the corner missy!! Tim & I have been doing pet research for the past few months, mostly interested in a miniature manx kitten who doesn't grow to be more than 10 inches tall! (see my blog about "my crush"). But I learned that most airlines charge $80+ for pet carry on's for under the seat, which sucks, and you have to give them no-bark/meow drowsy pills...which actually makes them really cute!